WF4 HENRY BLACKER WARNER and connecting families.
W4/5.[4]A Henry Blacker Warner  =  Elizabeth Anne Wakeford.
                   (1832 - 1919)         [m. 1855]    ( 1833 - 1917)
Henry Blacker Warner was the elder son of *Joseph Cox Warner and * Matilda Warner nee Stanford.   He was born in Grahamstown  on 18.11.1832
IGI has birth at Hopewell, Natal in about 1825, married about 1850 and also born ca. 1830 of Hopewell, Queenstown, CC.
 and in 1834 his father was appointed, with Rev. Haddy, to form the Clarkebury Mission Station.  He and his brother, Ebenezer Joseph Warner grew up and were educated on the various Mission stations where their parents were sent.  There were few other white people or children and they, like their father, became proficient in the Xhosa language.  There was considerable unrest among the black tribes during his childhood and youth.  [See Rev. E. J. Warner's history of his father J. C. Warner.]  When he was about 8 years old they were moved to the Imvani Mission Station and when about 13 to the Haslope Hills Station and, ultimately, after the war of 1846, to Lesseyton, near Queenstown.
In 1852 his parents moved to Glen Grey when his father was appointed Tembu Agent, that was the Government Officer in charge of the Tembu tribes, at their request.
On 12.7.1855 he was married at Glen Grey by the Rev. Dugmore to Elizabeth Anne Wakefield, the daughter of *Thomas Wakeford and *Jemina Wakeford nee Cyrus.  Her parents had been Settlers in Baillie's party on 'Chapman', which was the first Settler ship to land at Algoa Bay, on 10th August, 1820.  Her grandparents were also among the Settlers - being *Thomas and *Mary Wakeford and her father founded the Mount Arthur Mission Station.  She had eight brothers and sisters
[Refer to the Wakeford family Connection and the Warner family tree.]
Their marriage certificate (No: 32) states that he was a farmer in the Hopewell district of Queenstown; * Joseph Cox Warner and *Thomas Wakeford gave their consent and witnesses were Ebenezer Joseph Warner and Caroline Elizabeth Staples[?]
Henry Blacker Warner also became a missionary and he was given the native name of Ngonyama, meaning 'lion'.  There were eleven children of this marriage and he died on 15.2.1919 at Fort Malan; his wife had died two years previously on 20.11.1917, also at Fort Malan.
[Note: Refer to the record written by his son of 'Five Generations in the Service of the State' under the section W5/6.[5][L] Clarence Jenkins Warner]
The children of Henry Blacker Warner and Elizabeth Anne Wakeford were:
W4/6.A[A] John William Stanford Warner
    1. 28. 5. 1856 Hopewell, Mivane, Cape Colony
    2. 17. 7. 1856 Methodist Church, Queenstown, Cape Colony
m.26.  7. 1881(?) (Monday) by Rev. E. J. Warner at Glen Fountain,
Bonkolo, Cape Colony
            Josephine Gertrude Maria Hart,
              daughter of Joseph Hart and Sophia Hart nee Talbot of Queenstown
            There were seven children of this marriage.  [see separate section]
{IGI has the marriage on 26.1.1881 in Queenstown, C.C.(probably correct) and the husband's age at marriage as 24; the wife's 17]
W4/6.A[B] Charles Edward Warner
b.      17.  4.1858 Hopewell, White Kei, Cape Colony
c.         27. 6.1858 Methodist Church, Queenstown, Cape Colony
m.   7.  9.1884  by Rev. H. B. Warner Louisa Krienke

There were 3 children of this marriage.  [see separate section]
W4/6.A[C] Ida Ellen Warner  (Previously entered as Ida Helen Warner)
b.      27.  5.1860
c.         4.  6.1860 Methodist Church, Queenstown, Cape Colony
d    17.10.1864 of diphtheria
[IGI has the name as Ida Ellen Warner]
W4/6/A[D] Edith Cyrus Warner
b.      7.10.1861
d.7.11.1864 of diphtheria
W4/6.A[E]  Ebenezer Cox Warner
                   b.  8.  9.1863
                         d.  1.  8. 1918 Fort Malan
W4/6.A[F]  Maria Elizabeth (Lilian) Warner
                         b. 25.  9. 1865
m.                          9.  4. 1885 by Rev E. J. Warner
Joseph Benjamin Lieveldt
                   There were 3 children of this marriage  [see separate section]
W4/6.A[G] William Taylor Warner
                        b. 23.  8. 1867  Queenstown, Cape Colony
 d.27.12.1937  Butterworth, Transkei
He was unmarried - lived with parents at Gwadu and then with brother,
J. C. Warner at Fort Malan, Willowvale district.
W4/6.A[H] Henry Wakeford Warner
                    b. 21. 8.1869
d                           Cala
m. (1st) Minnie Milns
m. (2nd)   ???
W4/6.A[I]  Joseph Claridge Warner
                   b. 19. 7. 1871 Buntingville, C.C.
d. 30.10.1946 Idutywa, South Africa
He was a trader at Fort Malan
m. 18. 8.1896 by Rev. Taylor
Isabella Maxwell Mitchell
b. 24.10.1872
d. 8.12.1930 Idutywa, South Africa.
W4/6.A[J] Emma Mary Warner
                  b. 24. 9.1873 Buntingville, C.C.
                  d.   8. 9.1875 Buntingville, C.C.
W4/6.A[K] Herbert Blacker Warner
b.      3.12.1875 Buntingville, C.C.
                  Settled in U.S.A.   Issue lived in Zion, Illinois. 
Extracts from letters from Nora Warner concerning Henry Blacker Warner and Elizabeth Anne Wakeford:
Henry Blacker Warner, his wife Elizabeth and her sister, Emily Wakeford (spinster), also two sons of Henry B and Elizabeth (Ebenezer and William Taylor) all lived at Gwadu and also at Fort Malan with Joseph Claridge (Warner) and his wife. (J.C. was a brother of Ebenezer and William)
Henry Blacker, his wife Elizabeth, Emily Wakeford and Ebenezer were buried in a small cemetery near Fort Malan.  I do not think there are any tomb stones.  I think Henry Blacker expressed a wish to be buried in this cemetery.
Extracts from letter from H. B. Warner:
Henry Blacker Warner when writing to Walter Stanford on 23.2.1913 stated that the Mission station Mount Arthur was founded  after the 8th Kaffir War (i.e. in 1853) by the Wesleyans.  The first missionary was a Mr. Wakeford, but Mr. Warner replaced him in the same year.  The station had originally been founded by the London Missionary Society in about 1840.
There are a large number of letters from Henry Blacker Warner to Walter Stanford in the collection of Stanford papers at the Jagger library, University of Cape Town, written during 1894 and 1895.  They were written on paper headed "Office of Resident Magistrate" posted from Fort Donald.  Subject matter as follows: -
4.4.1894 Leary and H. B. Warner arrived with Munhlangazu and Maqutu.  Mr. Rhodes met Xesibi at Mount Ayliff.  They due to return to Mount Ayliff on 14.4.1894.
5.5.1894  Tabaukulu   -  'smelling-out case'.
9.5.1894 about unrest with Sigeneol (?)
              Gxididi the only chief of any consequence once Sigeneol left, who
              Seems inclined to be troublesome.
Other dates (11.5.1894 to 15.5.1895)  Sigeneol sent call to Gxididi, Ianga,    Nkunyana and Masepulo to come to a meeting at Fort William. However, Leary says all is quiet.  Tried over 50 civil cases and 40 criminal ones to date.
There is also a letter in very shaky handwriting from H. B. Warner to W. E. Stanford dated 23.12.1913.
The following extract is from a letter from H. B. Warner to W. E. Stanford dated 23 February, 1913 and reproduced from a document in the possession of the University of Cape Town Libraries for Research Purposes:
Re Bushman School.
...With regard to the question you ask about the Bushmen, I am afraid I cannot give you much information - all I know is that Bangaenhlalas was [founded(?)] ?on Father moving up from Clarke bury to Imvani, at the request of the Chief Umtirara?.  A Bushman school, under two Missionaries, of what denomination I cannot say, but I think they were Presbyterian Mission, I am not certain but I think one of the Missionaries was a Mr. Campbell, the cause of the Mission being broken up and Madolo and his followers being broken up I am sorry to say I cannot recall to remembrance, it may be as stated by Nobozo, this I know that the Mission was broken up some time after Father moved to Imvani.  When the Wes: society got a grant from Tyopo Gecelo (?) Father for a Mission, they sent Mr. Wakeford to form the Mission now called Mount Arthur, when Mr. Wakeford first went there thaere was still a few Bushmen families living on the Cacadu river who often went up to Mount Arthur, Mrs. Wakeford used to get them to wash the clothes & c, there were also old walls belonging to the first Mission on the opposite side of the river.  Mount Arthur was taken up after the Umlangeni War.  When Father occupied Glen Grey I cannot say for certain, (I think ?) it was in 1853, at all events you can easily find out for it was at the close of the Umlangeni war, when peace was proclaimed with the Tembus, and Father appointed Tembu Agent, I think if you refer to the Blue Book you will find it.  Before the Umlangeni war, when Father was living at Lesseyton as Missionary there used [to] be a good many Bushmen living with the Tembus, what became of them after the war I cannot say excepting that there were a few families knocking about.  I may as well mention that when the Tembus moved up to what is now Queenstown District and Glen Grey District &c the country had lots of Bushmen living in it, for at that time it was full of game.  I don't know whether it will interest you to know that Pato, Tyopo's father married a daughter of one of the Bushmen Chief.  Hence the Bushman blood in the Royal blood of the Amguna tribe.  I am sorry I cannot call to remembrance the cause of the Bushan school being scattered, or what became of Madolo afterwards...
From: 'Roll of British Settlers in South Africa' - E. Morse-Jones
WAKEFORD    -    Thomas 41, Gardener; wife Mary 36; child Thomas 13; party Bailies; ship                   Chapman';   (Also nephew, William 12.)
A party of 256 from London led by Lieutenant John Bailie R. N.  sailed in 'Chapman'.  Their location was between the Wellington and Palmiet Rivers and their centre was named Cuylerville after Colonel Jacob Cuyler, 59th. Regiment.  Divisions of the party were directed by Lieutenant Bailie, Thomas Adams, George Anderson, William Harrison and Thomas Wakeford.
The 'Chapman' was the first Settler ship to land at Algoa Bay - 10th. April, 1820 - with 271 Settlers on board.  She was under 500 tons and had sailed from Deptford on December 9th. 1819.
She despatched from London - December 1819, reached Table Bay March 1920, to Simons Bay, March 1820 and Algoa Bay April 1820.
From: 'The Settler Handbook' - M. D. Nash
No: 33 on the Colonial Department list, led by John Bailie of 7, Manchester Buildings, Westminster, London, a civil servant who held a position of Secretary to the British War Claims Commission.  Bailie was introduced to the Colonial Department by an influential patron, William Huskisson, M.P. for Chichester, Commissioner for Woods and Forests and a former Under-Secretary to the Colonial Department, and his application to emigrate was one of the first to be accepted.
This was one of the three large joint-stock parties (Bailie's, Sephton's and Willson's) with a high proportion of skilled tradesmen and professional men, which were intended to form 'village centres' in the new Albany settlement.
The party was first formed after a public meeting for prospective emigrants was held at the Crown and Anchor Tavern in the Strand, London, on 9 August 1819.  Bailie made a speech in favour of the emigration scheme which was well received in spite of radical opposition.  Nearly 600 people applied to emigrate under his direction and from them Bailie selected the hundred whose names were included in the first list he submitted to the Colonial Department (only a third of the names in this first list appeared in the party's final sailing list).  These were mostly men who possessed some means but could not afford to take out proprietary parties of their own.  Many of them had already made independent enquiries to the Colonial Department and had been told that only applications from heads of parties would be considered.  There were numerous fluctuations and alterations in the composition of the party before and after the deposit money for 90 men and their families was remitted late in October.  Many of the people whose names were on the early lists dropped out altogether and were replaced by others, some from other parties ... A quarter of the party as it was finally constituted was made up of skilled London tradesmen 'several of them the first rate trades people of their line' but Bailie himself remarked on his 'numerous country settlers' who included his brother-in-law Henry Crause from Kent, Robert Bovey from Devon and the Biddulph family from Staffordshire.
The Articles of Agreement of the party bound its members to mutual assistance.  Two versions were drawn up: the first, dated 6 October 1819, stipulated that each of its signatories was to receive a full 100 acres of land.  Late comers to the party signed a second version which entitled them to 50 acres only.  A village was planned with provision for public amenities, the ground was to be cleared at first and houses built by communal labour.  Tools and implements and a library were to be held as common stock, and the purchase or employment of slaves and the sale of spirituous liquor were strictly forbidden.
This was almost certainly the wealthiest of the Joint-stock parties, with the highest proportion of 'gentlemen settlers'.  Bailie, Biddulph, Chase, Crause and Ford were all accompanied by indentured servants, and the Biddulph, Reed and Hewson families had capital which they intended to invest in business enterprises at the Cape.
Unlike the directors of the other large settler parties Bailie did not seek permission for a clergyman to accompany his party.  He did, however, include three medical men, Dr. Daniel O'Flinn (whose deposit he paid) and two surgeons, Edward Roberts and Peter Campbell.  Campbell was one of several Settlers who quarrelled with Bailie before sailing and obtained permission to travel separately from the rest of the party.  He sailed as surgeon in the 'Aurora? and chose to be located with Sephton's party.  Three 'gentlemen settlers', Bishop Burnett, Henry Lovemore and John Goodwin, broke away from the party to sail as independent emigrants in the 'Ocean', 'Sir John Osborn'(?) and 'Medusa' transports respectively; Burnett and Goodwin received land grants in Albany and Lovemore purchased a farm near Algoa Bay.
The party embarked in the 'Chapman' transport at Deptford in company with a small party led by John Carlisle - a last minute arrangement, resulting from the reduction in size of Bailie's party which was to have occupied the whole ship.  Patrick Bagley, a veteran soldier and shoemaker, missed the 'Capman' sailing and was permitted to join Willson's party on 'La Belle Alliance' instead.  The 'Chapman' sailed from Gravesend on 3 December 1819, and on 9 December dropped her pilot, as well as several seasick settlers, at the Downs.
Six babies were born at sea, and an epidemic of whooping cough on board resulted in the deaths of five children under the age of 2 and one 5-year-old boy.  The 'Chapman' anchored  in Table Bay on 17 March 1820 and was placed under quarantine; however, Sarah Reed was allowed to go ashore to marry the 'Chapman's' Captain, John Milbank.  A printing press belonging to Edward Roberts, Thomas Stringfellow and Robert Godlington was confiscated by the authorities.
The 'Chapman' was the first of the Settler ships to anchor in Algoa Bay on 10 April 1820.  William Low, one of Bailie's servants, did not land with the other Settlers, but remained on ship as a sailor.  Another servant, Christopher Franz, and David Hockly, W. D. Cowper and John Leonard were offered employment while at Algoa Bay and permitted to leave the party.  The remainder of the party was escorted by the Landdrost of Uitenhage, Colonel Cuyler, to its location at the mouth of the Great Fish River.  Sixty four one acre lots were measured for a village which was named Cuyler Town (later Cuylerville).  Bailie received a separate grant of land (The Hope) as did Simon Biddulph (Birbury).
In the confined quarters of an emigrant ship during their four months at sea, friction had developed among the Settlers and Bailie's authoritarian attitude had created resentment.  Soon after location, permission was given for the party to sub-divide into five smaller groups under Bailie, T. P. Adams, George Anderson, James Ford and Thomas Wakeford.
From: 'Tharfield - An Eastern Cape Farm'  -  C. Thorpe.
Elizabeth Wakeford married John Webb.  She produced a number of publications and scientific papers on insects, birds, butterflies, grasshoppers, plus some botanical papers.  The farm 'Tharfield' has been owned only by the Bowkers and the Webbs since 1820 until today.  Published 1978.
John Webb was born 14.12.1827 in Albany, Cape Colony
Elizabeth Wakeford was born about 1830 [IGI gives dates between 1825 and 1832} at Hopewell, Queenstown District, Cape Colony and they were married on 7.3.1848 in Grahamstown, C.C.
*Thomas Wakeford    =    Jemima Cyrus
   (1807 - 1893)  [m. 1831]  (1814 - 1892)
Thomas Wakeford was the son of *Thomas and *Mary Wakeford, Settlers in Bailie's party on the 'Chapman'.  He was born in London in either 1804 or 1807, as shown on different records.
On 14.3.1831 at Mount Arthur, he married *Jemima Cyrus, the daughter of *Samuel and *Deborah Cyrus.   She was born in 1914 and travelled out to the Cape Colony with her parents, two brothers and sister, Emma, in Sephton's party on 'Aurora'.  This was the largest of all the parties and was located at  Salem.
In 1845 Thomas Wakeford  was the Catechist of Tamakha Mission Station.  Their daughter Elizabeth Anne married Henry Blacker Warner at Glen Grey, White Kei on 12.7.1855.
In a letter to Walter Stanford, H. B. Blacker states that Mount Arthur was founded after the 8th Kaffir War, (i.e. in 1853) as a Wesleyan Mission Station and the first missionary there was Mr. Wakeford, but Mr. Warner replaced him in the same year.  The station had originally been founded by the London Missionary Society and they installed a native teacher at Madoor's Kraal in 1840. [Letter dated 23.2.1913]
?Thomas Wakeford spent many years at Morley, Buntingville, Bowden and at Mount Arthur in the Glen Grey district, a mission he founded.  He was an indefatigable worker and erected many substantial buildings at various places with his own hands?  according to Makin [Ref: Salem]
Jemima Wakeford died on 17.11.1892 and a year later, Thomas Wakeford died at the residence of his son, Henry Blacker Warner, near Cala, on 28.10.1893.
Their children were:
c.1. Samuel Claridge Wakeford, born ??? ; married 4.7.1860 Jane Maria West
       There were 4 children of this marriage:
(i)                   Arthur George Shaw Wakeford b. 15.  4. 1861 Mount Arthur
(ii)                 Edwin West Wakeford               b.   2.  3. 1864 Queenstown
(iii)                Ernest West Wakeford              b. 11.  6. 1866 Queenstown
(iv)                Joseph Claridge Wakeford        b. 12. 7. 1869(?) Queenstown
c.2. Elizabeth Anne Wakeford born 17.7.1833; married 12.7.1855 Henry Blacker  Warner   [See Warner Family W3/5.[4]A for details]
c.3. William Edwards Wakeford born 1839.  Agriculturist; married 2.7.1863 in Queenstown to Charlotte Sarah Marshall and they had a child:
(i)                   Theophilus Thomas Wakeford
c.4.  Margaret Matilda Wakeford
c.5. Ruben Wakeford
c.6. Emily Wakeford born ???; died Fort Malan; unmarried.
c.7. Oliver Cyrus Wakeford born 6.2.1856, White Vige
c.8. Sarah Jane Wakeford born 1843; married Mr. Gardener
c.9. Walter John Wakeford born ???; married Margaret Louisa ???
       and they had a child:
(i)                   Walter Reginald Wakeford born 19.9.1894 Queenstown.
From: 'The Roll of the British Settlers'  -  E. Morse-Jones.
CYRUS:  -  Samuel 37, Labourer; wife Deborah 28; children George 9; Jemima 6;  Samuel 4; Emma; party Shepton's; ship 'Aurora'.
SHEPHTON's PARTY:    Edward Wynne recruited a party of 344 in London.  Thomas Colling was given charge of it but was unable to embark on the appointed sailing date and Hezekiah Sephton was appointed to take charge of them.  Most of them sailed in 'Aurora' with the balance in 'Brilliant'  under the temporary care of Richard Gush.  They were located on the Assegai Bush River, their centre being called Salem.  Thomas Colling's three elder sons sailed with the party.  He followed with the remainder of his family in 'Sir George Osborn'.  Edward Wynne landed in 1840.  In 1825 it was agreed that the location's water supply was inadequate and 100 persons were moved to Reed Fountain (now called Elmhurst).
From: 'The Story of the British Settlers of 1820 in South Africa'  -  H. E. Hockly
The largest of all the parties.
Ship's Movements: The'Aurora'departed from London in February 1820, reached Table Bay in Pitt.  May, 1820, Simon's Bay - May 1820 and Algoa Bay - May 1820.
Note: For other families in Sephton's party see under Freemantle family section for subsection on (i) Pitt and Roberts family connections FF2/3.[2][3] William Freemantle = Phillis (ii) Miller Family Connection  subsection after FF6/3.[9][12] John Freemantle = Harriet Miller And (ii) Penny family connection in subsection following FF7/3.[10]10 Septemus Penny = Edith Ann Freemantle