In 1905 she met her future husband, Arthur John Squires, who arrived in about 1887 in the first steam ship to South Africa ?The Old Scot? and he was attached to the Engineering Section of the Posts and Telegraph Department in Johannesburg.
Winnie continues: ?Ma may have boarded in Fordsburg - I cannot ever remember her telling me where she lived in Johannesburg? but ?I know my father, [Arthur Squires] lived in a boarding house owned by a Mrs Hughes and Ma always talked about Dad and herself knowing Dulcie Hughes, the daughter, who was somewhat younger than themselves and eventually she [Dulcie] married a Doctor Almer May and they went to Livingstone, where Dr. May was Principal Medical Officer for many years.  I remember Dr. May very well.?
Mabel was married (1st) to Arthur John Squires on 5th March 1907, in Bulawayo, Southern Rhodesia.  He was born in Frimley Green, England on 30th October 1871, the son of Major George Squires, who was in the army and stationed nearby at Aldershot and his wife, Margaret Squires nee O'Farrell.  Arthur Squires was an Electrical and Communications engineer and came to South Africa in 1887 for the G.P.O. and it was understood from his wife that he served in the Natal Carbineers in the Anglo Boer War.

Contribution by Lucy Tarr:

In 1905 she married Arthur John Squires and went with him to live in Northern Rhodesia. Mabel gave birth to Winnie in Livingstone on 9th January 1908. A week or so before, the new Livingstone Township hospital was opened and she was the first European child born in the hospital. The hospital still exists today as the Livingstone Hospital, where Janet and I were born. When Winnie (named after Mabel's favorite sister), was about 9 months old, Mabel went to Australia to show her baby to her parents. They returned some four months later, around 1909 - Feb. on the maiden voyage of the Warratah. On arrival in Durban, Mabel and one other man, both of whom were booked through to Cape Town, insisted on leaving the ship as they felt it was unstable.  Mabel continued her journey to Cape Town by train to stay with Winnie Murray, before going back to Livingstone. The Warratah sank with all hands and passengers off the Wild Coast on its way to Cape Town and to this day no trace has been positively found. The reason these two people felt the ship was unstable was because when it rolled, it stayed on its side for a while, before righting itself and rolling over the other way. At the beginning of 2001, I informed the local newspaper, following an article requesting anyone with knowledge of this event, to contact them.  I told them the story I had heard that Mother had been on the Warratah and they phoned and interviewed her but she couldn't remember much more than I have related.
I have a very early recollection at the age of three years of Granny May and her great friend, Auntie Brockie (Brockman) stepping down from the train in Livingstone.  The two old dears had decided that they wanted to visit us in Livingstone and just booked and got on the train. They had no passports and when they were confronted by the Ticket Inspector going through Bechuanaland (Botswana), Granny May said she had lived for nearly 30 years in Livingstone and she was going to visit her daughter and son-in-law who was a very important person and she didn't need a passport!! When they got to Bulawayo Auntie Dolly and Uncle George had to vouch for them and so did Mum and Dad!! Auntie Brockie gave very wet kisses, which I hated, being only three years old.

When Granny May became widowed, as you know, she married Percy May, himself a widower with four children and then when Winnie was 14, Phillip was born. I don't have much knowledge about the years leading up to my going to school in Cape Town but do remember visiting the house in Rouwkoop road and meeting Sarah Nolan, my great Grandmother in 1944. I remember her as being very small for an adult and as I was only 5 years old, she must have been tiny. She was then 95 and died shortly after. I don't know how long she lived with Granny & Grandpa May.[According to their marriage and other certificates, she was born in Dublin in 1858, but that declared age may, of course, not have been correct, only given to indicate she was a year younger that her husband, Martin.  Otherwise a good nine years were added on towards the end of her life!  Phillip agrees she died in 1944 and so she could not have been more than 86]