In about 1963 Phillip flew to New York and was met by Spence Embree and his second-in-command Bob Kellogg.  He was taken to see the factory in Elizabeth and arranged to manufacture the 'Wipe-on' products in Cape Town thereafter, instead of just decanting them.  Then, in 1968 Phillip and Ruth flew to the East Coast of America and stayed at the Embree's farm near Holmdell, where they ran a large herd of cattle and they visited the factory in Elizabeth, New Jersey where Spence Embree manufactured the 'Wipe-on' products and paint in one half of the factory and produced paper toys of various kinds in the other half.

Spence was an amazing man, who had pulled himself up single handed, working in an advertising business, obtaining a chemical degree and, finally becoming involved in the three projects mentioned; he ran the farm without labour to assist him, rising early to move or feed the 60 cattle before going to the factory.  He and his wife, Irma, had two sons who were rather a disappointment to Spence who had hoped they might continue all he built up, they had been to an excellent school but they were not interested in the business; the one being a perennial university student and the other not at all business-minded.  Spence was very keen that Phillip should step into their shoes and eventually take over from him.  In fact he offered Phillip an extremely good job with unlimited prospects in the manufacturing business.  However, as it seemed to us at the time, all our three sons were at quite critical points in their education and we were not sure how we would all fit into the American way of life, we finally decided against taking him up on his offer.  We had a very pleasant trip with the Embrees, going to Washington and the historic town of Williamsburg, both of which proved most interesting, educational and enjoyable.  I wouldn't have missed it for anything but on our return to Gordons Bay we learnt that we had left the house unlocked!  Fortunately Phillip's cousin Margaret Robertson came to check all was safe there, found the front door unlocked, and locked it for us!  On the return trip we spent 4 or 5 days touring Ireland, enjoying the beautiful scenery and the entertaining people we encountered on our travels and in UK, we visited Phillip's cousin Peggy Groves in Lewis where she provided us with some helpful leads on the May family history in Lyme Regis.  We returned to the Cape to find that Mrs Peggy Truter, our very reliable typist and head member of the staff, had been in a motor accident, was still in hospital and the factory was being looked after by an inexperienced young salesman!  It was that same year that we bought land in Somerset West on which the Council required building to start within two years.  The house there was designed and plans drawn up by Bill Spooner and it was completed in 1971, after much difficulty with both the builder who went broke and the consequent delay; we lived there for about 9 months before selling and returning to 'Fairwater' Gordons Bay.