On 30.6.1945 Phillip was demobbed in Cape Town and returned to work at Standard Bank, Adderley Street while living with his parents at 'Wellwood' Rouwkoop Road, Rondebosch.  Then, in 1946 the Bank transferred him to their main branch in Johannesburg and he moved into 'digs', sharing accommodation with an ex-RAF friend, Hubert de Burgh.  In order to make some contacts in this city Phillip placed an advertisement asking for a response from any 'old boys' who had attended Taunton School and among the replies was one from Arthur Jenkins and from this beginning was set-up an Old Tauntonian Association in South Africa.  Also, Arthur Jenkins was married to a close friend of Phyllis Freemantle and it was the Jenkins family who introduced Phillip to his future wife and in-laws by bringing him on a visit to 'Graystones'.  Marjorie Jenkins, their daughter, was also a school friend of Ruth's at St Mary's School for Girls in Waverley.  During 1947 Ruth and her father went overseas to Britain, France and Switzerland.
[In about 1948 Ruth was one of two bridesmaids at the wedding of Joan Gray who married Hugh Skinner; Joan's parents were friends of Phyllis and Eric Freemantle.  Then. on 5.3.1949 Ruth was again one of two bridesmaids at the marriage of her cousin, Helen Cleverly, daughter of Flossie and George Cleverly,  to Stanley O/Donnell in Salisbury.]
In 1948 Phillip joined the staff at Max Pollak & Freemantle as a clerk and then became a dealer on the floor of the Johannesburg Stock Exchange; that same year he became engaged to Ruth Frances Freemantle and they were married on 14.5.1949 at St Martins-in-the-Veld in Dunkeld.  Phillip's best man was John Todd, son of a London stockbroker, and her matron of Honour was her sister-in-law, Marion Freemantle nee Smaling, attended by Ruth's niece, Jillian, as flower girl and Phillip's nephew, Tony Rudland, who was the page boy.  The reception was held in a marquee erected on the 'bowling green' lawn at 'Graystones', followed by a family gathering for supper at a restaurant in the city.  Then, the bridal pair caught the train to Durban and went up the coast by boat to Beira, and thereafter by train to Rhodesia visiting and meeting various relatives of both families in Salisbury, Bulawayo and Livingstone, before returning to their new home at No: 9, First Avenue East, Parktown North, Johannesburg.
My dear mother was a most meticulous and organised person and she had everything planned well in advance for the trousseau, wedding and reception for 'her only daughter' but unfortunately on the day things did not go as smoothly as anticipated. Although it was a lovely sunny day and the garden was looking good, there was some delay over the arrival of the caterers, a bit of panic concerning the bouquet and posies and the whereabouts of the bride's headdress, borrowed from her cousin Helen O'Donnell.   
After the service, as she was leaving the church, my mother tripped and lost a heel from her new shoes, so that she had to limp along until such time as she could change into another pair. Phillip and his best man were very late in arriving at the church much to the consternation of his mother and it was only because my father made us drive around the block several times that they managed, much to the relief of both mothers, to sneak in the side door just before we got to the main entrance.  Because some of the 'friends' who attended his bachelor party had made a mixture, using a bit of every drink on the shelves of the cafe bar for him to drink, he was feeling pretty well under the weather, his face was so ashen that his freckles stood out on his face as if on stalks and when it came time for his speech, he couldn't manage to say all he had prepared, only a dozen or so words; his best man wasn't much help at that point either.  As we were due to catch the train to Durban at about 8.30 p.m. we had planned to have a family dinner at a posh restaurant on the top floor of a building in the city, but when we arrived nothing had been prepared, not even the tables were set; but worse was to come.  As the second course arrived my mother and Phillip's father quietly attracted the waiter's attention and requested that he remove everybody's fish dish as it was off.  However, the waiter would have none of that, insisting it was good and creating an awkward incident that was embarrassing to all.  When we all finally got to the station, we were dismayed to find that Phillip had been booked into a coupe at the back of the train and I was in one near the front!  At least this was one problem that was quickly fixed when my father 'persuaded' the conductor to organise a change!
We sailed from Durban to Lourenco Marques where the ship was met by the radio announcer, David Davies, who had married a girl I had known at school and he invited us to a fabulous dinner at a cafe out of town that was renowned for its fish dishes.  The actual host was an ex-South Africa cum American millionaire, called Kruger, and we were included in a party of more than twenty.  The first two courses were various types of seafood, followed by fillet of sole, each accompanied by a suitable wine, but as I didn't drink much alcohol these were rather wasted on me and by then I had eaten sufficient and thought the meal was complete.  Not a bit of it, as these were followed by roast duck, then another roast and a scrumptious sweet, again each with wine, all too much for me!  The memory of this night and our generous and hospitable host has remained with me through the years.
From there the boat continued up the coast to Beira and, to our surprise, we found that the whole town was in darkness.  Apparently, the electrical system installed by the Swiss had been overloaded and when it failed, the authorities simply switched it all over to the emergency system, thus shorting that out too.  Although this calamity had occurred several weeks before, there were still no candles in the hotel bedrooms and no water for the bathroom or toilet since that depended on an electrical pumping system.
I must add that the opportunity for each of us to meet members of the other's family for the first time made our travels through the Rhodesias both interesting and enjoyable.