Victor and Biddy May's second daughter was called:

M2/7.[6]b Desia Dorothy May and she was born on 13th July 1936, in Raylton, Bulawayo. She went to school at Raylton Junior School and then Bulawayo Dominican Convent. On 26th October 1963 in Bulawayo, she married John Derrick Wood, who was born on 18th April 1932 in Bulawayo.  He had been married previously and had one son, called Stephen, who was born in 29.4.1958 and, unfortunately, died as a war victim of the Rhodesian war in 1979.
Desia and John Wood had two children:
(i)      Julie Gail Wood, born 15.9,1964 in Bulawayo, married Richard Frame on 2.3.1991 and and they have a son, Daniel Richard Frame b. 13 . 5.1996
(ii)  Timothy Mark Wood, born 25.8.1968 in Bulawayo,  married Alison ?? on 28.1.1995 in the Methodist Church, Fishhoek(?) Cape.
Timothy has a daughter, Stacey-Lee Alisen Wood, b. 2.6.1992
and a son, Tristan Mark Wood, b. 21.12.1998
Timothy attended Cape Town University and they were all living in Fishhoek, Cape from 1988, having emigrated from Zimbabwe about then. 
Desia wrote in January, 2002: '1959 was the year I flew high in the sky and went to the depths of the earth. [After visiting Ethel Whitehead and Aunt Baddy] ... Whilst in London my Mother's cousin, (Dorothy) kindly allowed me to use her home as a base between visits to Scotland, Devon, Cornwall and Europe.  She was Assistant to one of the Air Vice-Marshalls at the Air Ministry - I had to have a special permit to visit her there.  She told me some amusing stories of the various airmen there during the War years.  I went to the Planetarium, Art Galleries, the Chimps tea party at the London Zoo and to the Royal Mews where I saw the beautifully painted coaches used for ceremonial occasions and the magnificent horses.  All totally fascinating after culturally arid Rhodesia.  Finding my roots!  But I popped into a cinema showing the seven modern wonders of the world and sat and cried when I saw the Victoria Falls - So homesick for family!  My Mother's friend's son (an aeronautics engineer) drove me around parts of England in his M.G. and we went with his sister (an art student) and her boyfriend to Soho.  In Paris I went to the Follies and in Switzerland rode the ski-lift.  It was summer, the grass a brilliant green, scattered with flowers, sky bright blue, silence and perfect peace apart from the tinkle of cowbells. Also went to Italy (Venice), Denmark, Germany etc. so many memories.  I wish I could recapture the excitement.
Grandad wrote to me before I left England, as he wanted me to transport a box of kippers.  This was given to me, at the docks by a friend of his.  It was large and cumbersome.  A kind gentleman queing beside me offered to carry it.  He said: 'What have you got in here,  Gold Nuggets?"  I replied, "No, kippers."  The box was unceremoniously returned to me.  I always smile when I remember this incident.'
Desia and Derrick left Zimbabwe in about 1987/8 and moved to Fishhoek in the Cape.  Derrick's career had been with the railways and he was only about two years short of retirement when he became very upset about the fact that it was policy to promote Africans but not Europeans.  However, as he was a sensible and quiet sort, not one to create trouble, he decided to stick it out until he could get his retirement pension, but when he found that all those promoted above him continually came to ask for his help to perform the jobs they were unable to handle themselves, he felt it was time to make a change, even though this would be financially disadvantageous for them.  They sold their home in Bulawayo and that money was set aside to pay for the University tuition at Cape Town for their son, Tim, and they brought down to South Africa the very small amount of capital that was allowed out of Zimbabwe as Foreign Exchange.  Life was very difficult for them in consequence and Derrick took a job at a hardware store in Fishhoek and Desia tried to earn commissions on her paintings to help eke out a living.
Desia wrote in January, 2002: 'The Fish Hoek Art Club is sometimes given the use of an empty shop for a few months and we are able to display and sell our paintings.  We all take time to 'sit' in the gallery.  The one we have at present is ideal because it is in the Arcade at the side entrance to A. P. Jones and has been most successful.
One day I was in the Gallery with another artist (Ray Hearne, whom I have known slightly for several years) a lady wandered in and started chatting about the old days in the Cape.  She mentioned that she used to live in Rondebosch and I told her that my Grandfather had lived there and worked at Woolworths in Wynberg.  Ray asked my Grandfather's name.  When I said: "May", he said, "My wife used to work there with a Mr. May.  She thought the world of him and always said how nice he was."  I think her name was Esme(?) Scott.' .  'She also thought Grandad was a thorough gentleman.'

Extracts from a letter from Desia Wood, dated 26th May, 2003 from Genoa Avenue, Peers Hill, Fishhoek, Cape.

Desia 'was born on 13th July, 1936 (A Monday, and I seem to have been occupied with stacks of washing all my life!)  My Mother stayed at home for the birth (probably so that Pam would have company - there were no grannies to call on).  As it was 'Rhodes Day', the nurse who was looking after my Mother, suggested I be named Desia (being the end of Rhodesia).  Prophetic, but I assure you, nothing to do with me!   ???

I attended Raylton Junior School and then Bulawayo Dominican Convent in my senior years.  Pam went to Raylton Junior School, then Coghlan School and, finally, Eveline High School.  Had it not been for ill-health she would probably have attended University as she enjoyed studying and had an excellent brain.  ??
I completed a Commercial Course achieving fairly good results particularly in shorthand, which to me had an element of excitement (secret code?).

After leaving school at 15 (perhaps too young as I became more interested in education after leaving) I worked for Ben Baron and Partners (Lawyers) for a couple of years and then resigned because I took a dislike to their Accountant.  (Incidentally he eventually went to jail for embezzlement).  Anyway the Railways were looking for extra staff at that time so worked there as a temporary measure but I liked the people there so much I remained  until my marriage.  You will see that I am not very business-like and allow my emotions to guide me.  I should have remained in the Commercial world.

During my childhood I won several art competitions and an Art teacher suggested I should attend Art College but I did not want to leave home.  I think I have already told you that Mother won a scholarship to St Martins Art School in London but did not pursue it.  (In 1991 I won a Silver Award at the Grahamstown Festival of Arts.)

I met Derrick whilst working on the Railways and we were married in the Presbyterian Church, Bulawayo, on 26th October, 1963.  I am actually an Anglican and was a Sunday School teacher there but Derrick, although also an Anglican, was attending the Presbyterian Church.

Over the years before marriage I was:

(a) Cub Mistress (learnt to tie knots, light a fire and fold a shirt! -  and cope with a crowd of noisy little boys all talking at once!)
(b) a Committee member of the 'Young Victoria League'
(c) a backstage worker for the Hillside Young Players. 

My favourite hobby was Ballroom dancing.  Because I have always loved horses I went to riding lessons; also attended classes in Speech Training, Story writing, Sewing (even learnt how to cut out patterns - but don't ask me to sew now!) and French lessons.  You name it - jack of all trades - master of none!  My knitting is of the basic variety - nothing like the intricate work of Auntie Doris and Joan and my embroidery was never up to Auntie Girlie's standard.

After marriage I didn't work until Julie and Timothy went to school.  Because I wanted to spend as much time as possible with the children I went into Market Research which involved keeping busy housewives talking about the merits of washing powder, etc. for an hour.  Later I obtained work as a Merchandiseer/Representative for Forget-Me-Not cards.  I was with them for 7 years, until we moved to South Africa, and thoroughly enjoyed dealing with people and choosing cards for the larger shops.  The business expanded and took over Sincerity cards.

Now I just concentrate on painting ?... I am enclosing some photos of my paintings.  I sell them in our Art Society Gallery [Desia sent six photos: i. Canoe with native rowers on the Zambesi; ii. Penguins on the ice; iii. And iv. Table mountain from Blouberg Strand; v. Rhodesian Bushland and vi. Aloes on the coastline] and recently invited 5 other artists to share an exhibition.'

Extracts of what Desia wrote in August/September2003 as follows:

Julie Gail was born 15th September, 1964. She coped well at school, attending Hillside Nursary School, then Henry Lew Junior School and finally, Montrose Girls' High where she was in the gym team and could have attended University but preferred not to do so. She has an analytical brain, is clever, hardworking and practical, with an amazing ability to understand the mechanics of modern technology. She is also reliable and kind-hearted and wanted to be a teacher but, at that time, young people graduating from College were required to teach initially in the Tribal Trust lands and this was not acceptable to us. So she worked in Zimbank, Bulawayo. When we moved to South Africa she joined Standard Bank, first in Fish Hoek, then Simonstown and later in Cape Town in the General Manager's Office.

As a child she enjoyed ballet dancing and now her hobbies are line dancing, aerobics and badminton.

She met Richard Frame in Bulawayo. He followed us to Cape Town, living with us for several months before they were married in the Presbyterian Church, Fish Hoek on 2.3.1991. Their reception was at the St. James Hotel just prior to its closing.

Their son, Daniel Richard Frame was born 13th May, 1996. Richard's brother is a doctor in Mutare and Richard is a Fork Lift Mechanic. For a couple of years he had his own business at Cape Town docks. His father, who died recently, was born in Scotland, his original career being in the Navy; he settled in Rhodesia and was a talented musician and all the family are musical and sing well together. His mother was a teacher.

Timothy Mark was born 25th August, 1968. He also attended Hillside Nursery School, from there he went to Henry Lew Junior School and moved on to Hamilton High School, finally we moved him to Christian Brothers College with the rest of his class - only two boys remained behind! Tim excelled at cricket, soccer, hockey and rugby. He was often Captain and was deputy head-boy at Junior School. He was accepted to do his Articles at Arthur Young (Accountants) and completed a year's work with them before left for South Africa, which disrupted his career. He attended University but left before his final year towards becoming a Chartered Accountant because of the need to earn a living. He joined the Old Mutual, but now works for 'Great Plains' where he is a computer analyst, installing financial programs for various firms.

Tim has an extremely pleasant, easy-going nature and is well-liked wherever he goes. He was invited to remain with one of the firms (Onion Telecommunications) as an Information Systems Manager, where he seems to be doing exceptionally well.

Alisen, Tim's wife, is the product of a broken home and she did not want to be married. So she and Tim lived together for a couple of years. Stacey-Lee Alisen was born on June 2nd, 1992 and has always been our very special baby as I looked after her from the age of 3 months. Tim and Alisen were married in the Methodist Church on 28.1.1995 and have a son, Tristan Mark who was born 21.12.1998. He is a bright little boy and seems much older. Stacey is quiet, loves her music, singing, dancing and gym. She copes fairly well at school.

John Derrick Wood was born in Bulawayo on 18th April, 1932. His paternal Grandfather was born in Glascow, Scotland, and arrived in Bulawayo, Rhodesia in 1895. Derrick's fathe (one of ten children) was also born in Bulawayo and Derrick's eldest Aunt, Jean, was with her parents in the Matabeleland Laager at the time of the Rebellion. His Maternal grandparents arrived in Rhodesia (from Coventry, England) in the early 1900's, initially settling in Salisbury and then moving to Bulawayo. Their eldest son was left there to complete his education, remained on, married and had three daughters but his wife and daughters were killed during an airraid in the Second World War. So tragic.

Derrick attended Milton Junior School and Technical High School. He then entered an apprenticeship in the printing trade (Typocrafters) where his Uncle was a partner. After completing his indentures he decided to leave the trade and joined the Rhodesian Railways in a clerical capacity in 1955. He left on premature retirement in August, 1987 (having obtained the position of Industrial Relations Officer) in order to emigrate to South Africa.

Derrick played 1st team cricket and soccer at school, representing Matabeleland in the latter at the under-16 level. He later represented Matabeleland at senior level on many occasions. In 1949/50 he was contracted, as a professional soccer player, by Huddersfield Town, Yorkshire. In later years he enjoyed playing golf and bowls (Club Singles Champion).

On arrival in South Africa he worked behind-the-counter at Fish Hoek Electric but for the last 12 years he was employed by a firm of Chartered Accountants in a clerical capacity. He retired at the end of November, 2002.