It was while Warwick was staying at 'Graystones' that John found he could no longer cope with the large stamp collection he had gathered over many years and he handed it on to Warwick on the understanding that it should be divided between him and his brothers. I spent many hours sorting and completing the compiling of the albums that John had started and that were sent down with all the stamps and these were then handed on to the three boys.

I very much wanted to participate in some memorial to my father and Alice suggested a window in the church. However, she did not want me to have any part in this. Then, the Stock Exchange decided to put up something in recognition of the fact that he had been a member for so many years. My brothers, Christopher and Lennox suggested it might be a good idea to do something after the style of the statue which can be seen at the Wall Street Stock Exchange, New York, showing the battle taking place between a bull and beer, a replica of which always stood on my father's desk. He very much appreciated the symbolism of this piece and, I believe, identified with the more optimistic outcome of the tussle between the two animals, so this idea proved very appealing. However, my brothers were not at all taken with the suggestions made by various artists who put forward modern ideas such as a cubist interpretation of the small statuette. In addition, a problem arose because most artists or sculptors are unwilling to copy another's work, preferring their own original conceptions. So, when we heard of the difficulty, Phillip suggested we approach a Cape artist who had produced a number of more realistic portrayals, including a larger than life-size statue of Jan Smuts that stood at the top of Adderley Street in Cape Town as his work might be more acceptable. His surname was Mitford-Barberton and he lived in Hout Bay. However, when we went to call on him we found that age had overtaken him, he was in bed having suffered a stroke and he was very frail. Fortunately, when speaking to his wife she mentioned that their son, Michael, worked for the Art Department of the Technical College in Cape Town and he would be able to make an authentic, enlarged copy of the statuette for us if we wished. That was arranged, he made the mould and it was sent to a foundry in Pretoria, Transvaal where the bronze was cast and completed. The statue was then placed in the foyer of the Johannesburg Stock Exchange, Diagonal Street but later moved to the upper part of the building. Sadly, or amusingly, depending on one's view of these things, this large, finished article was mostly used by the brokers to hang their hats on the bull's horns! I asked Christopher if it was possible to have six copies of the small statuette made at the same time as the large one was cast, one for each of the grandsons, but nothing came of this unfortunately. My father's ashes were scattered, as was his wish, under the large Plain tree that stood in front of his home and, in spring, was surrounded but hundreds of daffodils that made a really wonderful show each year.

In 1988, there was no longer a member of the Freemantle family in Max Pollak and Freemantle after 62 years of their participation in this firm