1820 Settlers:
Goulding  -  Thomas 28 - Gardener - in Calton's party on 'Albury' (from Nottinghamshire) with his wife, Elizabeth 27, and children, George 6, and William 4.
Goulding -  George 21 - carpenter - in Calton's party from Nottinghamshire on 'Albury'
Their name is from the old English meaning 'gold'
George Goulding* was presumably born in Nottinghamshire and came out to South Africa with other members of the family; the relationship between George and Thomas has not been traced here, but they were probably brothers.  The 'Albury' with Calton's party aboard landed at Fort Frederick on 16,5,1829, having sailed from Liverpool on 31.1.1820 and reached Simon's Bay on 1.5.1820.  Once ashore all the Goulding family came under the direction of Thomas Draper*, this being arranged by 18.5.1820 in the case of George and by 10.7.1820 for Thomas and his family.
The party was settled at a location close to the Torrens River and George reached there during May, being followed by Thomas and family in July.  In September 1824 Thomas Goulding* was transferred under the direction of William Pike*.
George Goulding* was a stonemason and carpenter and on 14.11.1823 he was married in Grahamstown by the Rev. George Thurston to Sarah Pike*.  She was the daughter of William* and Mary Pike*, also Settlers in Calton's party on the 'Albury'.  There were six children of this marriage, their first child, Henry, being born in 1827.  By the May of 1828, George held an allotment - No:3 - at Clumber and in 1831 their second son, Joseph was born; they were living in Grahamstown at the time.
Meanwhile, Thomas Goulding's wife, Elizabeth had died prior to 1832 and he, his second wife and one child moved to Freestone in July 1835.  This second marriage was to Elizabeth Birchkan and took place on 23.1.1832, officiated by Rev. George Porter.  Thomas died in Queenstown in 1871.
George and Sarah's fifth child and fourth son, Reuben Goulding was born on 23.9.1836 in Grahamstown.  Two other items concerning him are recorded; the first on 31.8.1838, he purchased forage from Thomas Shore and on 1.1.1839 his cattle broke into the maize of Thomas Shore.  Their last child, a daughter, Joan was born in 1841 in Grahamstown.
By August 1847, George held allotment - No:20 - in Calton's location and on 16.8.1847 the arrears of quit rent on this allotment were remitted to him.
Their eldest son, Henry, was married in Queenstown on 1.1.1855 by Rev. Henry Dugmore to Catherine, second daughter of William Cory according to E. Morse Jones index, but on the tree this marriage is shown as 1.1.1851 in Grahamstown and a second marriage to Lydia West on 2.22.1862 in Queenstown.  Henry was a farmer.
In 1860 (1.1.1860) Reuben Goulding married Harriet Freemantle in Grahamstown [date on tree 4.1.1860 For further details see F7/3.[9]7] Harriet Freemantle was the daughter of Samuel Freemantle* and Sarah Freemantle nee Paxton*.  Reuben became a farmer at Bowker Park, probably lived in Queenstown at one time and eventually in Johannesburg.  He and Harriet Goulding had nine children, the youngest son being Thomas Pike Goulding (b. 28.12.1880), who married Ethel Margareta Freemantle in Johannesburg in 1910. [She was the daughter of William Roberts Freemantle.]
On 1.7.1862 George and Sarah's eldest daughter, Maria [Mary] married in Grahamstown by the Rev. William Impey to Charles Cawood of 'Keighley' [This is recorded as the marriage of their 'only' daughter so, perhaps, the youngest child, Joan, had died young.]
George Goulding died in Grahamstown on 12.9.1869, aged 70 years and his wife, Sarah died, also in Grahamstown on 6.10.1874, aged 73.
Reuben and Harriet's son, Charles Freemantle Goulding married Mary E. Campbell in about 1889 and she was born on 16.10. 1869 (year uncertain). Charles died on 14.11.1946 in Kroonstad.  He was a farmer.  Reuben and Harriet's son, George was born on 4.101867 in Bowkers Park and he married Lydia ??? in about 1892 in Pretoria. (Her birthdate was 2ist October ?) and George's sister, Lois Paxton Goulding (b.10.1.1869) married Thomas E. Shires in 1889 (He was born 8.5.1864) and George's brother, Harry Hartley Goulding was born on 15.7.1871/2 - he was unmarried.  Their sister Ivy Goulding was born 5.6.1878 in Pretoria and died in 1958; she married Walter Gritten in 1917, probably in Pretoria.  He died in 1973.
It is also recorded that one of the Goulding family was a partner of Mathew Clark & Son, who were trading in Bulawayo in 1877.
NOTE: The early history of the Goulding family is given under the section 'Goulding Family Connection and is taken from the card index of Morse Jones and other sources.  More information may be found on the Goulding Family Tree, a sub-section of the Freemantle Family Tree, lodged in the Albany museum, Grahamstown.  In addition, young Leigh Anne Goulding compiled a detailed family tree as a school project.
Information from Margaret Deane: 
Ethel Goulding was always interested in family matters and possessions, consequently several items of interest had been retained by her through the years.  There were two diaries, the one kept by Harriet Goulding nee Freemantle and the other written by Harriet's eldest daughter, Ellen nee Goulding, who married Joseph Hartley.  Ethel and Tommy's daughter [Margaret] writes: 'these diaries were both written about the time of the siege of Kimberley [15th. October 1899 to 15th. February 1900.]  Ellen Hartley was living in Kimberley at that time and her diary tells of their day-to-day experiences - little everyday things and how they battled to get food and had to eat whatever they could get.  The original of this I gave to [my brother] Allan when my mother died and Gilda has it now.  She copied it out by hand for me - so now, I have a copy of this as well ... Then Harriet's diary was written just after the actual siege, when they were still feeling the effects of it.  She apparently had to flee from the Rand with her youngest daughter, Ivy, and they arrived in Kimberley by train.  She stayed with her daughter, Ellen and husband Joe, all through the siege until they were able to get permits to enable them to go back to Johannesburg again.  She was a widow at the time as Reuben had died about four years before the siege.  Her diary is much more personal and more about her family than about the actual siege.  My father, Thomas, was 21 years [old] at the time and he was guarding cattle for De Beers Mining Co., during the siege.'
Note from Gilda Goulding:
'Yes, I have this diary - what there is left of it - as a quarter of each page is torn off - not eaten by rats or fishmoth! - so that is why I had to use my imagination and commonsense and write it out for Leigh Ann (my granddaughter) and at the same time made a copy for Margaret ...
Incidentally it is interesting to compare Ellen's account and that of my mother's cousin's wife, Agnes Rissik, who was a child during the siege and that of Thomas Pakenham who wrote 'The Boer War'.  They tally very closely!!'
Letter from May Cormack on 16.2.1939 to Gwen Gemmell:
Tom Goulding, Ethel's husband had a book, which gave quite a lot of information [on the family].  Unfortunately this has been lost.  Tom says a Mr. Forward at Bathurst and some people named Pike, who farm in that district are relations.
Written by Ruth May:
There are two recollections I have of Uncle Tommy; the first being an anecdote my father used to tell about the time that Tommy was called into Court as a witness in a case of drunken driving.  The advocate kept questioning him, again and again, trying to get confirmation that the accused was drunk, but each time he asked Tommy, 'Did you smell liquor on this man?'. Tommy would answer 'No'.  Eventually the Judge intervened and asked, 'Can you explain why, unlike the others, you did not smell liquor at the time?'  'Yes,' said Tommy, 'It's because I have lost my sense of smell!'
The other was when he became somewhat irate because Ethel often forgot to give him a spoon with his tea, so he cured the problem by tying one on a long piece of string from the ceiling just above his place at the table.
I well remember the lovely grape jam Aunt Ethel used to make; also those small, purple Katorba grapes Margaret and I used to pick from their garden in Bramley - we had such fun as children squeezing them gently so that the fruit popped right out of the skins and into our mouths - delicious, as only sun-ripened fruit can be.

From:  Lynn Kearn Goulding - 27.10.1988

Thomas Pike Goulding was a small, wirey man with intense blue eyes.  He was a natural gentleman and although he had little formal education had a very alert enquiring mind and was very fond of reading.  Added to this he had a wonderfully retentive memory.  My one regret is that in later years when he went blind I never had a tape recorder to catch all the tales of his exploits as a transport rider/officer on the British side and thereafter.
He was attached to the Naval Brigade and dragged the guns up to the top of Naval Hill in Bloemfontein.  He campaigned to the end of the war at the Battle of Dalmanutha.
After the war he also became a winding engine driver.  In fact I still have his framed Certificate of Competency signed by the Government Mining Engineer on 19.2.1906.
He worked for a number of years on Gold Mines on the Reef and married Ethel Freemantle.
Just before that he went drilling for water (with his brother-in-law, Walter Gritten) all over the Northern Free State.  As I recall they were both bachelors then and lead a rough existence.
I am not clear of the sequence of events but about 1924 he went farming in the Groot Marico district, bordering Bechuanaland - Ramatlabama.  This was a tale of hardship - locusts, drought, lack of capital - you name it.
I was born in 1920 at Whites in the Free State (recently declared the only Indian area in that Province!).  So my dad worked there also as a fitter on the crushing plant until he went farming with his brother-in-law, Tom Shires, in 1924.
All I remember about that farm (Kendale) was that we lived in a corrugated iron shack.  I contracted opthalmia and was going blind and my dear old mom took me by Donkey-cart to Ramatlabama station and then by train to a Johannesburg specialist who was able to save my sight.  I still have a large scar on the cornea of my left eye.
The farming partnership came to a sad end when the two Toms quarrelled and divided their farm.  When Tom Shires got into debt my dad stood security for him - and lost everything he had.  Ever after that my father's favourite saying was: 'If you ever feel sorry for anyone - kick him!'  Ninety per cent of people are directly responsible for their own misfortunes through extravagance, drink, greed or stupidity, etc..
The collapse of the farming venture happened at the time of the Great Depression when Whites were glad to get a job on the roads at one and sixpence a day. Fortunately for Dad, Arthur Freemantle, his brother-in-law, was an engineer on Colenso power station and was able to get him a job as a pump fitter at twenty pounds per month, plus house.
We stayed in Colenso for eight years until Pa got a better job as a rigger on the new Vanderbyl steel works putting up the new factory.
When the World War II came Dad signed up as an Instructor and taught engineering at Cottesloe.  It was his third war as he also served in the U.D.F. [Union Defence Force] during the Rebellion in 1914.
During World War II my mother got a hare-brained idea that farming was the ideal way to retire.  She spotted an advertisement in the Sunday Times for a cheap farm in the ZASTRON, O.F.S. district and willy-nilly sold their house on 4 acres in Bramley for a song and trekked to the bottom end of the Free State.  Scenically a very beautiful place, but otherwise a small uneconomical run-down place nobody wanted.
Unbeknown to us, Dad was suffering from glaucoma and before he died went blind for three years.  So insidious and sly is this glaucoma that it is known as the 'thief in the night'.  I really only realised something was amiss when I was driving with him one afternoon and he was going straight for a large donga with a drop of about 30 feet and when I yelled he stopped inches from the edge.  He then admitted to 'tunnel vision'.  Specialists could do nothing for him.
My most vivid memory of the old man is seeing him hanging (at the age of 72) by his left hand over the raging torrent of the flooded Magaleng River at 'Aloepoort'.  The river had come down in the night and had partly washed away the corrugated iron grain store and half the building was hanging over the river so we decided to rescue the iron.  He was sitting on a purlin loosening screws when it gave way but was able to grab a beam with his left hand.  He had to hang for at least two minutes before we could reach him and drag him to safety.  Had he fallen he would have had no chance.
Like all his generation he was a wonderful shot and he often showed up the youngsters with his ancient hammer shotgun against their modern guns. He died of renal failure at Zastron aged 78 and is buried in the graveyard at 'Aloepoort'.
An outline of my life will not take long!
Born:  Whites, O.F.S.  1920.
Matriculated: Maritzburg College  1937
War Service:  3 years Medical Corps.  -  2 years S.A.A.F. as a Navigator/Observer.
Farming:  Zastron, O.F.S.  -  16 years
Trading:  Lesotho  -  6 years
 Secocoenieland   -  one and a half years
                Tzaneen   - 3 years
Spar Dealer:         -  18 years (2 Foodliners - at Duiwelskloof and Tzaneen)
Retired:    - 1 year
Town Councellor  6 years;  President Lion's Club;  Zone-Chairman for Lions; Church Council; Executive in Tzaneen Chamber of Commerce; Master Letaba Lodge; Secretary/Treasurer Duiwelskloof Bowling Club  etc., etc..
The most intelligent thing I ever did was to marry Nancy Surmon in 1947.  The best thing, that gives us the most satisfaction, we were able to give our 3 children a good education -  Rex - B. Com;  Jeanette - Teaching Diploma; Cynthia - B.A. Dip. Rad.; Dip. Sec. Prac.  etc. Rex is in business with me, while Jeanette is teaching in Pinetown and Cynthia is a lecturer in Radiography at MEDUNSA