F3/5.[4][B] Ethel Margareta Freemantle was the second child of William Roberts Freemantle and Martha Margaretha Freemantle nee Joubert. She was born in Burgersdorp on 18th. September, 1887 and her parents lived in this town until she was ten years old, then they moved to Cala. So, presumably she started her schooling in Burgersdorp and continued it in Cala where they stayed for about three years.  As there was in fact a convent and a village school in Cala during this period, she might have attended either during her early years.
In 1904 the family moved to Johannesburg, but her father went to live in Potchefstroom, where he was an auctioneer and agent.  Later he moved to Kroonstad and finally to Marico, where he died in 1923.
In Johannesburg the family first lived in the centre of town then, a little later, in Braamfontein and afterwards in Malvern.  However, it was on 16th February, 1910 that she married Thomas Pike Goulding in Johannesburg.
He was born on 28th.December, 1880 in Kimberley and was the son of Reuben Goulding and Harriet Goulding nee Freemantle, the daughter of Samuel Freemantle* and Sarah Freemantle nee Paxton .   Thomas  was also the grandson of the Settler George Goulding* and his wife Sarah Goulding nee Pike*, who were in Calton's party on the 'Albury' with their parents, both families coming out to South Africa together.  So, this marriage of Thomas Goulding and Ethel Freemantle represented the second link between the Goulding and Freemantle families.
Ethel and Tommy had three sons and two daughters, but the third child, Joy Kathleen Goulding, died when she was seven months old at Whites, in the Orange Free State, where the family lived until 1924, before they went farming on 'Kendale'.  During the Depression they moved to Colenso and afterwards to Bramley, Johannesburg, where they lived for a number of years, thereafter moving to a farm called 'Aloepoort' in the Zastron district and close to the Basutuland border.
Thomas Pike Goulding was a farmer and an engineer.  He died on 8th.August, 1957 when they were living at 'Aloepoort'.  His widow, Ethel, moved to Ladysmith to be near her daughter, Margaret and family, and she died there on 30th.September, 1967