1797 - Page 184.
SATURDAY, July 15th
[Fremantle had left the Inconstant and was on the Seahorse. His bride, Betsy (nee Wynne) was aboard with him.
It was at the battle of Santa Cruz, which followed on July 24th that Admiral Nelson   lost his arm and Fremantle was wounded]
   Betsey wrote:
"... We [the English] are going to take the Island of Teneriffe".
SATURDAY, July 22nd:
"...The troops landed again this morning and had a most tiresome and fatiguing day, for no good what so ever ..."
SUNDAY, July 23rd:
                     "Fremantle went on board the Admiral [Nelson], tomorrow night he is to go  himself and land in the Town [Santa Cruz].  It blew very hard all day"
MONDAY, July 24th:
                     "The Admiral supped with us, he then went with Fremantle on their expedition.  They are all to land in the Town, As the taking of this place seemed an easy and almost sure thing, I went to bed after they were gone apprehending no danger for Fremantle".
TUESDAY, July 25th:
                     The troops landed at two oclock this morning, There was much firing in the Town, but from the ships it seemed as if the English had made themselves masters of it, Great was our mistake, this proved to be a shocking, unfortunate night Fremantle returned at 4 this morning he had landed, came off in the first boat, and stayed on board the Zealous till daylight, where his wound was dressed.  Thank God as the ball only went through the flesh he will not lose his arm he managed it so well that I was not frightened, but I was not a little distressed and miserable when I heard what it was, and indeed he was in great pain and suffered cruelly all day but it was fortunate that he did get wounded at first, God knows if ever I should have seen him again had he stayed on shore.  It was dreadful, poor Captain Bowen killed on the spot.  The Admiral was wounded as he was getting out of the Boat and most unfortunately lost his arm...
Note 150 (page 245): Nelson who was wounded earlier than Fremantle, was rowed to the nearest ship, but as they were about to take him up 'Nelson recognised it and refused to go on board. It was the Seahorse'. 'I had rather suffer death', he said (in his inimitable way), 'than alarm Mrs. Fremantle by her seeing me in this style, and when I give her no tiding whatever of her husband.'  This action was the first great failure of Nelson's career.
Note 162 (page 246):[ re Lady Nelson]? Mrs. Nisbet, daughter of Herbert, governor of St. Kitts, and widow of Dr. Nisbet.  Nelson married her in 1787.  She was then 24, and had one son, Josiah, who received his stepfather in his arms when the latter lost his arm at Santa Cruz.